Re: [css3-page] Styling elements differently based on whether they appear on a left or right page

On 7/28/13 5:06 PM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>Also sprach Brad Kemper:
>
> > >  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/02-reader/
> > >
> > > What would be your preferred ways of coding, say, the first of these?
> >
> > I've nothing against doing that sort of layout like that, where you
> > have evenly sized and spaced columns and everything is to fit
> > within even multiples of those columns.
>
>That's good. Still, my question stands: how would you code these sorts
>of layouts using your preferred methods -- what would the code look like
>in
>flex box or grid?

Håkon,

There is an example of the holy grail layout in the flexbox spec that has
two sidebars the same height as the article using a flex container.

Since the topic at hand is sidebars, what about reversing your question?
How would you accomplish the sidebar layout Brad is talking about? What
would the code look like with float:outside/inside? Let's have a paginated
layout with an article and a sidebar, where the sidebar paginates along
with the article columns. When the sidebar content ends, the height should
either be the viewport height (if the article continues on another page)
or the height of the final fragment of the article (if the article and
sidebar finish on the same page).

Thanks,

Alan