Re: [css3-writing-modes] Examples of normal, unscaled glyphs work better than width-variant glyphs for text-combine-horizontal

Koji Ishii wrote:

> During the discussion, fantasai made a new edit. How good does this look to you all?
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#text-combine-horizontal
>
> # The UA must ensure that the combined advance width of the composition
> # fits within 1em by compressing the combined text if necessary. (This
> # does not necessarily mean that the glyphs will fit within 1em, as some
> # glyphs are designed to draw outside their geometric boundaries.)
> # OpenType implementations must use width-specific variants (hwid/twid/qwid)
> # to compress text in cases where those variants are available for all
> # characters in the composition. Otherwise, the UA may use any means to
> # compress the text, including substituting half-width, third-width,
> # and/or quarter-width glyphs provided by the font, using other font
> # features designed to compress text horizontally, scaling the text
> # geometrically, or any combination thereof.
>
> I think this edit is great and satisfies all requirements came up in
> the discussion so far.
>
> If we all are fine with this text, we can close this issue.

I'm fine with this edit.  The one minor piece remaining is the fixup
or removal of Example 20, as I noted to fantasai privately, since the
example is incompatible with the wording above.

Cheers,

John Daggett