Re: [cssom] Drop support for alternative stylesheets?

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/8/29 Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>:
>> http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/2500
>>
>> Presto: none
>> WebKit and Blink: only the non-standard selectedStylesheetSet, but setting
>> it does nothing.
>> Gecko: all except the non-standard selectedStylesheetSet
>> IE10: none
>>
> [...]
>> Basically because the feature has had its chance to prove itself and it has
>> failed.
>>> Because it isn't popular?
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Because it isn't implemented in browsers?
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Because it wouldn't be useful, helpful?
>> It could be useful for some users, but it seems to me like the user demand
>> hasn't been strong enough.
>
> Isn’t this a circular argument? How do you expect people to use a
> feature if there is zero support? This is not being done because there
> is no browser support, not that there is no browser support because
> people aren’t using it. You can’t expect anything to be found in the
> wild if there is no browser support.
>
> I tried using this a long time ago and gave up because there is no
> browser support. Why are we dropping more and more things from the
> standards and changing things to have illogical semantics instead of
> fixing the browsers?

"Patches welcome."  ^_^

Specs are intended to document reality, and guide it a short distance
ahead.  When a spec leads ahead but nobody follows for a long time, we
do a disservice to authors by pretending that it's still something
that will shortly appear in browsers.