Re: [css-variables][css-conditional] bad-string and bad-url tokens in non-custom properties that reference variables

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 10:22:07 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Le 26/08/2013 07:58, Cameron McCormack a écrit :
> <bad-string> and <bad-url> tokens are disallowed in <any-value>, which
> is used as the value for custom properties and also as the fallback for
> variable references.  But they are not disallowed at the top level of a
> non-custom property that has variable references (and thus invokes the
> "property value containing a variable must be assumed to be valid at
> parse time" requirement).  So:
>
>     @supports (color: var(a, "
>               ))                         { ... fails ... }
>     @supports (color: var(a, url("b" c)) { ... fails ... }
>     @supports (var-a: "
>               )                          { ... fails ... }
>     @supports (var-a: url("b" c))        { ... fails ... }
>
> But:
>
>     @supports (color: var(a) "
>               )                          { ... succeeds ... }
>     @supports (color: var(a) url("b" c)) { ... succeeds ... }
>
> Should we make these fail too?

Ah, interesting case. IMO we should change css-variables to make this
invalid in all contexts (not just @supports.) That is:

   Declarations with variables references do not have their value
checked against the grammar of the property at parse time. Instead (this
is the new part) the value must match <any-value>.

--
Simon Sapin