Re: [css-om] CSSStyleDeclaration.parentElement

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 08:09:42 +0200, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

> On Thursday 2013-08-22 10:41 +0200, Simon Pieters wrote:
>> I don't know what the use case is for parentRule. There's also
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom/#dom-stylesheet-ownernode . But that's
>> by itself is not a good reason to add something else like it. New
>> features need to justify themselves on their own merit.
>
> I'm inclined to think "ownerNode" or "ownerElement" is a better name
> than "parentElement", though.  "parentElement" implies to me that
> it's a part of the element tree because it's parent is an element.
> But it's not part of the element tree; it's a style sheet, and its
> not in that element's childNodes.

I agree. I was going to call it "ownerNode" for consistency with
StyleSheet#ownerNode if I put it in the spec, although PseudoElement isn't
actually a Node.

>> I would like one or more of the following things demonstrated before
>> I put the requested feature in the spec:
>>
>> * a more compelling use case that this feature addresses.
>> * other developers working around the lack of this feature.
>> * implementation interest from one or more browser vendors for this
>> feature.
>
> My inclination is that exposing something that implementations
> already have to maintain (where the maintaining doesn't seem
> reasonably avoidable in any future changes) should be held to a less
> stringent standard than this (probably at least in terms of the
> "more compelling use case" point).

Note that I said "one more more", not "all of these". :-) If you are
saying that you are happy to implement this in Gecko, then the above is
already satisfied. Is that the case?

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software