Re: [css3-multicol] spanning element with only block children

Le Lun 19 août 2013 12:08, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
> "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:
>
>> In Example XXI, the column-spanning H2 element appears later in the
>> content, and the height of the multicol element is constrained (to
>> something like 6.5em). And so, the H2 element appears in the overflow
>> and
>> there is not room to make the element spanning across all column boxes.
>> But none of these conditions are present in the
>> multicol-span-all-child-001-GT.xht test.
>
> In XXI, if the spanner hadn't been turned into regular block content,
> you'd have:
>
>    +-----------+-----------+---------+
>    | Ab cde .. | xxxx      | xxxx    | xxxx
>    | xxxx      | xxxx      | xxxx    |
>    | xxxx      | xxxx      | xxxx    |
>    | xxxx      | xxxx      | xxxx    |
>    | xxxx      | xxxx      | xxxx    |
>    +-----------+-----------+---------+
>      An H2 element
>
>      A bc d ..   xxxx
>
> I've always thought of it that way: if the spanner would have ended up
> below the content box established by the multicol, it shall not be a
> spanner. But yeah, I guess there's nothing in the spec that suggests
> that I should think exactly like that.
>
> Another example: Imagine a 3-column multicol with room for 3 lines in
> each column. It has 6 lines of text, followed by a 2-line tall
> spanner. There's not really enough room for the spanner then:
>
>    +----------------+----------------+----------------+
>    | line1          | line3          | line5          |
>    | line2          | line4          | line6          |
>    | Spanner line 1                                   |
>    +-S-p-a-n-n-e-r---l-i-n-e---2----------------------+
>
> So I interpret that the spec would like this layout instead:
>
>    +----------------+----------------+----------------+
>    | line1          | line4          | Spanner line 1 |
>    | line2          | line5          | Spanner line 2 |
>    | line3          | line6          |                |
>    +----------------+----------------+----------------+

Yes. That makes sense.

>> One last detail. The spec uses the "may" word in
>> "
>> In these cases, user agents may treat the element as if ‘none’ had
>> been
>> specified on this property.
>> "
>>
>> So, there may be more than 1 way to render example XXI. In fact, some UA
>> could render the H2 element across 2 column boxes, across the 2 column
>> boxes rendered in the overflow.
>
> The spec says that 'column-span:all' means "span all columns", so
> spanning only 2 columns would probably not be right, in any case.

You are right. It's 'all' or 'none'.

Thanks to your feedback and explanations, I have updated the 2 tests:

[test]
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-span-all-child-001-GT.xht

[reftest]
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-span-all-child-001-GT-ref.xht