Re: [css3-multicol] spanning element with only block children

"Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:

> In Example XXI, the column-spanning H2 element appears later in the
> content, and the height of the multicol element is constrained (to
> something like 6.5em). And so, the H2 element appears in the overflow and
> there is not room to make the element spanning across all column boxes.
> But none of these conditions are present in the
> multicol-span-all-child-001-GT.xht test.

In XXI, if the spanner hadn't been turned into regular block content,
you'd have:

   +-----------+-----------+---------+
   | Ab cde .. | xxxx      | xxxx    | xxxx
   | xxxx      | xxxx      | xxxx    |
   | xxxx      | xxxx      | xxxx    |
   | xxxx      | xxxx      | xxxx    |
   | xxxx      | xxxx      | xxxx    |
   +-----------+-----------+---------+
     An H2 element

     A bc d ..   xxxx

I've always thought of it that way: if the spanner would have ended up
below the content box established by the multicol, it shall not be a
spanner. But yeah, I guess there's nothing in the spec that suggests
that I should think exactly like that.

Another example: Imagine a 3-column multicol with room for 3 lines in
each column. It has 6 lines of text, followed by a 2-line tall
spanner. There's not really enough room for the spanner then:

   +----------------+----------------+----------------+
   | line1          | line3          | line5          |
   | line2          | line4          | line6          |
   | Spanner line 1                                   |
   +-S-p-a-n-n-e-r---l-i-n-e---2----------------------+

So I interpret that the spec would like this layout instead:

   +----------------+----------------+----------------+
   | line1          | line4          | Spanner line 1 |
   | line2          | line5          | Spanner line 2 |
   | line3          | line6          |                |
   +----------------+----------------+----------------+

> One last detail. The spec uses the "may" word in
> "
> In these cases, user agents may treat the element as if ‘none’ had been
> specified on this property.
> "
>
> So, there may be more than 1 way to render example XXI. In fact, some UA
> could render the H2 element across 2 column boxes, across the 2 column
> boxes rendered in the overflow.

The spec says that 'column-span:all' means "span all columns", so
spanning only 2 columns would probably not be right, in any case.

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----