Re: [css-images] color-stop position interpolation

On Aug 19, 2013, at 8:14 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
>> Le 19/08/2013 07:15, Dirk Schulze a écrit :
>>> The animation on the <angle> component for linear gradients is not
>>> problematic because the keywords are fixed to certain angles.
>>
>> Keywords for corners such as "to top left" are not.

Oh yes, I thought they were fixed as well, but they aren't.

> Correct.  However, Shane Stephens (Google) proposed some time ago a
> slightly different interpolation behavior for linear gradients than
> what we currently have, where you interpolate the angle+length of the
> gradient line itself, adjusting stops as appropriate to do so.  This
> not only handles interpolation between keywords and angles, it also
> produces smooth transitions regardless of what you specify (just
> transitioning angle can make the gradient seem to grow and shrink
> during a single rotation).

In which case you need the layout information of the filled box again. Since CSS Animations can run before the layout is finished, it is hard to provide these information that early.

Greetings,
Dirk