Re: [CSS21] Proposal to define "Block container element"

On 09/03/2012 01:56 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:

> : <INS>Certain values of the 'display' property cause an element of
> : the source document to generate</INS> a
> : *principal <DEL>block-level</DEL> box*

I still find this phrase awkward, because it's so vague. Since you don't
want to list 'display: none' explicitly, how about:

   <INS>Elements that appear in the formatting structure generate</INS>

> : <DEL>Except for table boxes, which are described in a later
> : chapter, and replaced elements</DEL><INS>In CSS 2.1</INS>, a
> : block-level box is also a block container box <INS>unless it is
> : a table box or the principal box of a replaced element</INS>. A
> : block container box either contains only block-level boxes or
> : establishes an _inline formatting context_<link to 9.4.2> and thus
> : contains only _inline-level boxes_<link to 9.2.2>. <INS>An element
> : whose principal box is a block container box is a *block container
> : element*. Values of the 'display' property which make a
> : non-replaced element generate a block container include 'block',
> : 'list-item' and 'inline-block'.</INS> Not all block container boxes
> : are block-level boxes: non-replaced inline blocks and non-replaced
> : table cells are block containers but <INS>are</INS> not block-level
> : <DEL>boxes</DEL>. Block-level boxes that are also block containers
> : are called block boxes.

I might consider

   | Most block-level boxes are also block container boxes.
   | A block container box [... stuff from above ...] 'inline-block'.
   | Not all block container boxes [... stuff from above ...] block-level.
   | Similarly, not all block-level boxes are block container boxes:
   | in CSS2.1, table boxes and replaced elements are can be block-level,
   | but are not block containers.
   | Block-level boxes that are also block containers are called block boxes.

You do need an s/which make/that make/, though.

Otherwise, the changes all look good to me.

~fantasai