Re: [cssom] Proposing a getDefaultComputedStyle method

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Proposal: a getDefaultComputedStyle method that acts just like
> getComputedStyle but returns what the style would be if it were not for
> author rules.
>
> Rationale: jQuery has hacks to try to figure out default styles, involving
> creation of subframes and so forth.  These hacks are very fragile.  There's
> got to be a better way for libraries to do this sort of thing.

I'm slightly unsure of the use-case.  What does jQuery use this
information for?  Is it just for setting things back to their
pre-author state?

If so, I'd prefer we go ahead and add the previously-discussed
"default" global keyword which has this functionality.