Re: [css3-writing-modes] before/after terminology alternative? - FO and CSS names

On 2012/10/11 16:01, Simon Sapin wrote:
> Le 11/10/2012 08:46, Philippe Wittenbergh a écrit :
>> 'block-before' sounds a bit strange when one wants to apply the
>> equivalent of 'padding-top' to an inline (or inline-block) element.

Yes, in that case it sounds a bit strange. But overall, I like Liam's 
proposal quite a bit, in my eyes it's definitely better than 

>> Or does the 'block' part refer to a direction ?
> Yes. I can only guess, but I think that 'block-before' means "before, in
> the block progression direction". But now that you mention it, I see
> that it only makes sense when you’re familiar with the idea of block
> progression direction.

That's the intent of Liam's proposal. Anyway, something that sounds 
strange when you first meet is probably better than something that you 
think you understand, but you get wrong.

Also, I'm not a professional CSS user/Web designer, but my guess would 
be that padding,... in the block (progression) direction are more often 
used on blocks than on inlines. So the chance that a designer gets 
familiar with the meaning of padding-block-before and friends on blocks 
and can then apply that meaning to inlines is probably quite high.

Regards,   Martin.

Received on Thursday, 11 October 2012 07:21:08 UTC