Re: [ui] time to re-introduce the 'user-select' property to the spec?

Hi all,

I wrote:

>>> We intend to work on an experimental implementation of a new
>>> -webkit-user-select value that we are calling "atomic". This value
>>> causes the element to which it is applied to behave atomically for
>>> selection purposes; either all of none of the element and its
>>> contents are contained in the selection.
>>>
>>> [Gecko has] a value, "all", that superficially behaves like
>>> "atomic", but has some different behavior under incremental
>>> selection, which is why we're not using that value.

Aryeh replied:

> I'd be very interested to hear what the issues are here.

Alice described some of them on webkit-dev:

> [Gecko does not select] atomically using shift + right. It also does
> not select atomically upon dragging. These might just be bugs[…]

Aryeh continued:

> It might make more sense for Gecko to change its behavior instead of
> us introducing a new value.

Sounds good to me. Let's try to determine if what Gecko intends "all" to
mean is the same as what we had in mind for "atomic." Like I said above,
"atomic" causes either all of none of the element to be contained in the
selection. This should happen regardless of how the user performed the
selection action (unlike the observed Gecko behavior for "all" that
Alice identified on webkit-dev).

Thanks,
Ted