Re: [css3-selectors][css3-ui] Status of the ::selection pseudo-element

On 1/12/2012 7:03 AM, L. David Baron wrote:
> I think one of the reasons was also that the exact behavior was
> never really defined, and it wasn't clear what it should be.  In
> particular, the open questions I had are described in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Oct/0268.html .

Thanks. It does turn out to be more complicated than on the surface.

Appendix C of the latest revision of CSS3 UI, which was published last
week, reads, "The ::selection pseudo-element has been dropped since it
was dropped from Selectors after testing found interoperability problems
and further details to explore/define."

So I guess this means it's back to the drawing board, right? If so, do
you guys plan to revisit and redefine it, and hopefully bring it back in
a future module (CSS4 UI)?

I'm also curious then if Gecko will continue to use ::-moz-selection
with the vendor extension, since ::selection is no longer part of the spec.

--
Daniel Tan/BoltClock
NOVALISTIC • Stellar Software Development & Design