Re: [css3-selectors][css3-ui] Status of the ::selection pseudo-element

On 12/1/12 01:03, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Thursday 2012-01-12 04:41 +0800, Daniel Tan wrote:
>> Last I heard, it sort of got cut due to implementation headaches
>> of some sort, related to performance, nesting and so on. I'm quite
>> curious; could somebody elaborate on this for me?
>
> I think one of the reasons was also that the exact behavior was
> never really defined, and it wasn't clear what it should be.  In
> particular, the open questions I had are described in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Oct/0268.html .
>
> -David

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but it looks like most of these
problems are related with ::selection being a new pseudo-element. How
about a new property instead?

selection: <color>{1,3} | auto;

First color would be background-color, second color would be text color,
third color could be text-shadow color.
Future versions could introduce more parameters.

It would also be kinda on par with the new `caret` property in css4-ui
which will also be explored IIRC.

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)