Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM, François REMY
<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> |  No, native properties always exist, and are always valid.  If you
> |  don't specify a property on an element, it gets converted to its
> |  initial or inherited value at specified-value time.
>
> Certainly and I know that :-) You didn't get my argument: flex-length
> *doesn't* exist at all. If you prefer, replace use(flex-length) by
> use(do-not-exists-lol) and you'll see my point ;-)

I don't see a use-case for being able to ask for the value of a
nonsense property and provide fallback for if it doesn't exist.  The
existence of a property is not a dynamic thing.  If the property
doesn't exist, that means the UA doesn't support it at all, and you
probably don't want to rely on its value.