Re: [CSS21] overflow and table-cell element

Le Jeu 9 août 2012 23:38, Boris Zbarsky a écrit :
> On 8/9/12 11:22 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> Dear fellow www-style colleagues,
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/overflow-applies-to-007a.xht
>>
>> Is this test correct?
>>
>> All browsers are failing this test, as coded. So, am I missing something
>> here?
>
> You're missing "table-layout: fixed".

I've added 'table-layout: fixed' to the test and the necessary table
objects into

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/overflow-applies-to-007a-version2.xht

and all browsers are still failing that version2 test, as coded.

The width of the single column of that table should be given by the width
of the single cell in first row: so, I'm still puzzled as to why I get to
see red and why the table is 200px wide and not 100px wide.

> So you land in auto layout, in
> which column widths never go below the largest min-intrinsic width of
> the cells in the column per the non-normative-but-the-web-requires-it
> bits.  See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#auto-table-layout step
> 2 in the "Column widths are determined as follows" bit.
>
>> I believe this test
>>
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/overflow-applies-to-007.htm
>>
>> to be imprecise (or not best) as there is no width set to the table-cell
>> element. Am I wrong?
>
> This is a table-layout:fixed table.  Per
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#fixed-table-layout we end up in
> the third step of "the width of each column is determined as follows"
> and the single column gets the width of the table, which is 5em.  So the
> test looks correct to me.

I see, okay. Agreed.

Thank you for your quick and accurate reply. I appreciate this.

Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite