Re: [CSS21] overflow and table-cell element

On 8/9/12 11:22 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> Dear fellow www-style colleagues,
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/overflow-applies-to-007a.xht
>
> Is this test correct?
>
> All browsers are failing this test, as coded. So, am I missing something
> here?

You're missing "table-layout: fixed".  So you land in auto layout, in
which column widths never go below the largest min-intrinsic width of
the cells in the column per the non-normative-but-the-web-requires-it
bits.  See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#auto-table-layout step
2 in the "Column widths are determined as follows" bit.

> I believe this test
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/overflow-applies-to-007.htm
>
> to be imprecise (or not best) as there is no width set to the table-cell
> element. Am I wrong?

This is a table-layout:fixed table.  Per
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#fixed-table-layout we end up in
the third step of "the width of each column is determined as follows"
and the single column gets the width of the table, which is 5em.  So the
test looks correct to me.

> (Additionally, height: 5em on the table element is extraneous, unneeded,

I believe that's correct.  It seems to be there to make sure that if
span2 line-wraps it won't get clipped by the bottom edge of the cell,
but I don't see why the cell wouldn't end up two lines tall in that case.

-Boris