Re: Comments from PFWG on CSS3 Speech Module

On 10/14/2011 02:22 AM, Daniel Weck wrote:
> On 11 Oct 2011, at 20:25, Janina Sajka wrote:
>> 7.)	voice-duration:<time>;
>>
>> This is another property that seems to provide very little value. For example, what would be the expected behavior given the following CSS:
>>
>> p { voice-duration: 1s; }
>>
>> Given the following markup.

>> The first paragraph would be understandable, but should the second paragraph really be pronounced over a duration of 1 second? Probably not. Implementation of this would be tricky, too. Have any other vendors have expressed an interest in its implementation?
>>
>> voice-duration is marked as at-risk, and we support dropping it from the final specification.
>
> I agree that there are potential implementation and usability issues, thus why the 'voice-duration' property is marked "at-risk". I believe this was introduced into CSS3 Speech in order to match the SSML feature-set more closely, however personally I am not aware of any real-world usage.
> For tracking purposes, I am marking this comment as "closed / invalid": there does not seem to be an issue with the property specification per-say (which is aligned with the SSML recommendation).

Hm, I'd say, if there isn't a use case, and it seems likely to have
implementation and/or usability issues, and nobody has expressed a
desire to have it, then it seems fair to drop it until someone
requests it. We can copy the spec prose from the LC into a later
spec if it turns out it's needed. What do you think?

~fantasai