Re: [css3-page] Pagination of orthogonal writing-mode blocks

On 10/01/2011 08:03 PM, David Hyatt wrote:
> There are some interesting issues with the pagination of orthogonal writing-mode blocks that I thought might be worth discussing.
>
> (1) With variable width pages, it's possible to have orthogonal flows whose logical heights are dependent on the page widths
>
> For example if you have a vertical-rl block inside a horizontal-bt pagination model, the vertical-rl block may define an explicit width of 50%. That width will potentially vary from page to page.
>
> Therefore I think any formal definition of pagination across variable width pages needs to have general enough language that the above behaves properly.

That is... a very interesting point. I think
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Sep/0301.html
handles that conceptually, although I haven't fully thought out the
implications for all the layout algorithms.

> (2) What should be done as far as the flow of lines inside an orthogonal flow that is forced to split across pages? To me, the intuitive model would be a sort of "multi-column" layout, i.e., you would have separate lines on each page. This seems to be a more sensible model than having to read across pages and then backtrack, but it may be somewhat complicated to define (and implement).

If you implement
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-css3-writing-modes-20110901/#orthogonal-multicol
correctly, that should take care of itself, no? (That was certainly
the intent there.)

Note that line boxes are not allowed to split across pages in CSS
any more than replaced elements are. This should hold true regardless
of the orientation of the line box wrt the break.

~fantasai