Re: [css3-content] sizing of images inserted using the content property

On 11/21/11 8:52 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:19:42 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 11/21/11 7:44 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>>> Section "8. Replaced content" says that when the content introduced by
>>> content: is a single url, then the element or pseudo element is a
>>> replaced element.
>>
>> This happens to not be compatible with what the "content" property
>> does in CSS 2.1, for what it's worth....
>
> I wasn't sure if CSS 2.1 said something incompatible, or forgot to
> specify what
> should happen. Where in the 2.1 did you find something that css3-content
> contradicts?

Ah, looks like nothing useful made it into the spec here... fun.

In particular, CSS2.1 doesn't seem to define anything about the actual
processing model of "content" (e.g. nothing says that "content: 'x' 'y'"
should render with the "x" before the "y").

The examples in section 12.1, however, imply that the pseudo-element is
a container around the stuff generated by "content" and nothing in
section 12.2 contradicts it....  As a result all UAs implemented
precisely that.

-Boris