Re: [css3-content] sizing of images inserted using the content property

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:09:03 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 11/21/11 8:52 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:19:42 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
>> wrote:

>>> This happens to not be compatible with what the "content" property
>>> does in CSS 2.1, for what it's worth....
>>
>> I wasn't sure if CSS 2.1 said something incompatible, or forgot to
>> specify what
>> should happen. Where in the 2.1 did you find something that css3-content
>> contradicts?
>
> Ah, looks like nothing useful made it into the spec here... fun.
>
> In particular, CSS2.1 doesn't seem to define anything about the actual
> processing model of "content" (e.g. nothing says that "content: 'x' 'y'"
> should render with the "x" before the "y").
>
> The examples in section 12.1, however, imply that the pseudo-element is
> a container around the stuff generated by "content" and nothing in
> section 12.2 contradicts it....  As a result all UAs implemented
> precisely that.

The examples say nothing about what happens if you insert an image, which
is what the later spec defines. 2.1 does say this just below the examples:

"Note. This specification does not fully define the interaction of :before
and :after with replaced elements (such as IMG in HTML). This will be
defined in more detail in a future specification."

So it doesn't seem to evil for css3-content section 8 to say what it says,
purely from a spec point of view. But it is still in contradiction with
all implementations in the case of pseudo elements, and with half the
implementations in the case of non-pseudos.

  - Florian