Re: [css3-lists] Alignment of list markers

On Jun 9, 2011, at 11:04 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't see too much wrong with making them inlines.  They'll still
>>> act properly when positioned with 'outside', so sure.
>>
>> Cool. That is less magic than having 'position' also change the initial 'display' value, right? (floats are magic in that regard).
>
> Yes.  (Also, wow, I never realized that 'float' changes the initial
> value for 'display'.  That's wack.)

I suppose it is because you can't set 'width' on an inline, so a floated span of  text would end up being as wide as all the  text, all on one line. So it is a bit of white magic until you want to float a table-cell.

Similarly, positioning an element makes it 'float:none'. Magic!