Re: [css3-lists] Alignment of list markers

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2011, at 9:34 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:39 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>> Why are they inline-blocks instead of inlines? That does not make
>>> much sense to me.
>>
>> I think I just made the choice fairly arbitrarily.  You can't tell the
>> difference currently, because you can't make a marker that would
>> line-wrap.
>
> This statement surprises me a lot. Why wouldn't it wrap if I had this:
>
> ::marker { display: inline-block /* or block or table-cell */; width: 2em; } /* assume spaces in marker text, or else 'word-break: break-all' or that breaking after decimals is part of 'word-break: normal' */

I was referring to current markers, which are limited to unwrappable
strings or images.  Using ::marker or a custom counter-style
definitely changes things.

>> I don't see too much wrong with making them inlines.  They'll still
>> act properly when positioned with 'outside', so sure.
>
> Cool. That is less magic than having 'position' also change the initial 'display' value, right? (floats are magic in that regard).

Yes.  (Also, wow, I never realized that 'float' changes the initial
value for 'display'.  That's wack.)