Re: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

If you are using interactive tools, you don't really care what code gets written into the file, as long as it works. But Illustrator, PhotoShop, InDesign, and many others also allow you to type a value. And that value is always a degree. Rather than rehashing all my arguments from last year (when the editor's draft included full background-position-like syntax, please see my essay on the subject here:

http://bradclicks.com/cssplay/linear-gradient/index.html

It includes all the examples I could find of software that lets you set a gradient direction by typing text into a field.

The thread is really proof that keywords can be confusing if they are not clear. But mixing in vectors would, IMO, result in values that are much harder to visualize, and result in near-infinite ways of writing many types of linear gradients for the same visual results (which makes learning/understanding by reading examples harder). And I really believe it really is unnecessary for common use, almost always. If you just want it for increasing clarity, it will often have the opposite effect, and there are better ways. If you want the extra power for very uncommon edge cases that can't be done using current syntax, there is still SVG.

The document I link to above also includes my earlier proposal that would give you more power than the current syntax, but I agree now that even that extra power is unlikely to be needed much at all.