Re: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:33:34 +0900, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Brian Manthos<brianman@microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Paraphrasing [1]:
>>> When specified via angle, the angle can be understood as both the
>>> direction ("toward the<angle>") and the ending point ("ends
>>> at<angle>").
>>>
>>> Paraphrasing [2] and [3]:
>>> When specified via keyword, the keyword can be understood as both
>>> opposite direction ("away from the<keyword(s)>") and the starting
>>> point ("starts at<keyword>").
>>>

>>> Is it intentional that these two ways of specifying gradient-line are
>>> opposite?
>>
>> I've just committed a change to switch the way keywords are interpreted.
>
> This type of change would require a WG resolution.

Yes. We did have a WG resolution on changing angles to clockwise, with 0
up north, but for the meaning / naming of the keywords, we merely agree
that there was confusion about the current definition, and that it may be
possible to improve. We did not resolve on any definition change or a name
change.

I'd argue that if we switch the meaning of the keywords, the default
should be changed from bottom to top, so that a 0 degree gradient is the
same as the default gradient.

But even more than than, I'd prefer switching to directional words
(upwards, leftwards...), and have upwards as the default.

In any case, this needs a WG debate and a resolution, so it is probably
better to roll back this change.

  - Florian