Re: [css3-flexbox] intuitivity and width computation rules

On 1/12/11 6:29 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>>> Nobody - except the CSS WG itself and I'm not even sure - will ever
>>> understand why the paragraphs make the first flexing box of the second
>>> section grow...
>>
>> Uh... it's really not that hard.
>>

> Hard for whom ?
>
> If we can get 10 experienced authors in a room and a majority do, on their
> own, think of setting the width to 0 to achieve the (non-zero) distributed width
> shown in the reference image they're asked to reproduce then OK.

That's a very very different bar from "not even someone who has read the
spec carefully can explain the behavior", which is the bar Daniel was
saying.

The simplest way to get the behavior Daniel _seems_ to want here is to
just use percentage widths on the boxes, as far as I can tell.  That's
if I understood the behavior he wants correctly.  I'd like to verify
whether that understanding is correct before spending any more time on
this thread.

But if the problem we're trying to solve is "I want three boxes of equal
height whose widths are in the ratio 2:1:1", which is what it sounds
like, then yes, I would expect 10 experienced web authors to all come up
with the idea of setting their widths to 50%, 25%, 25% respectively.

-Boris