Re: [CSS21] 12.5 Lists: numbering undefined, implementations differ

On 9/7/10 5:28 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:

 > Together with the above two tests, this suggests that float:right
 > results in changing the display to block in those user agents, as
 > if as a variation on section 9.7 rules

That seems rather broken.... (well, I guess everything involving
display:list-item is).  But see

 > Gecko looks the same as WebKit but with two differences: the first
 > is trivial, some extra vertical space above the nested ol, presumably
 > due to different user agent stylesheet, though I haven't
 > investigated; but the second difference is that the last li is
 > numbered 10 for some reason: there is no 9. I don't know what's
 > happening there

I could dig through this mess of code to sort that out if it'd be
useful...  I would expect the block-inside-inline thing is somewhat to
blame, though I don't quite understand why that innermost <li> is needed
to cause the havoc.

 > but I believe this version of Gecko doesn't implement run-in

Nor any other version so far, right.

 > Gecko doesn't display marker box for root list-item; I haven't yet
 > determined whether this is a display issue or it's being forced to be
 > display:block.

The latter.  This seems to be what
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/visuren.html#display-prop
(and earlier drafts) called for.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225/visuren.html#display-prop is
the first draft with the current verbiage, which treats the root the
same way positioned and floated boxes are treated....

I'll get a bug filed on this.

-Boris