Re: [css3-text] proposed value for text-align: no-justify

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com] wrote on October 14, 2010
> 2:06 PM:
>> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Belov, Charles
>> <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
>> > I suggest the following additional item, which would primarily be
>> > useful in user style sheets:
>> >
>> > no-justify
>> >
>> > A previously computed value of 'justify' is to be replaced
>> with 'start'.
>>
>> Could you elaborate further on what this is intended to do,
>> and why just saying "text-align: start" isn't sufficient?
>>
>> I'll note that there's no such thing as "previously computed".
>> Exactly one value gets chosen as the computed value; any
>> values that lost the specificity battle are ignored and forgotten.
>
> This is an attempt to allow the user style sheet to override all website
> uses of 'text-align: justify' with 'text-align: start', without having
> to do this on a case-by-case basis, and without overriding 'text-align:
> center'.
>
> The use case is for an end-user who has trouble reading text which is
> justified.
>
> The goal would be to be able to code in a user style sheet:
>
> * {
>        text-align: no-justify ! important;
> }
>
> So that all justified text would become left-justified for LTR text or
> right-justified for RTL text.
>
> However, centered text would remain centered.

The only way to do this in CSS would be to have some additional
property which switches the behavior of "text-align-justify".
Luckily, this already exists!
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-justify

I guess, then, you'd like that property to have a "none" value?