Re: [css3-background] New use case for background-position-x (&y!)

Lee Kowalkowski wrote:
> On 09/11/2010, Lev Solntsev <greli@mail.ru> wrote:
>> Speaking of this it makes sense to introduce background-position-top,
>> -left, -right and -bottom instead of old -x and -y.
>
> I would be happy with that if that makes better sense to you guys.

Hello Lee and Lev,

I requested that back in 2007. I even added a possible was to used it
as an alternative for background-size [1].

I got a compromised solution for being able to position a background
image from the right and bottom edges by adding keywords. This is now
in the spec which is currently in LC (Last Call) status nearing PR
(Proposed Recommendation).

It may have been different but unfortunately background-position
initially allowed a different axis to the margin and padding
properties. An example showing margin and padding done in shorthand
with two values.

margin: 0 0; /* vertical and horizontal */
padding: 0 0; /* vertical and horizontal */
background-position: 0 0; /* horizontal and vertical */

1. <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Nov/0255.html>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/