Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

On 8/22/10 4:49 AM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 09:25:53PM -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 8/13/10 9:55 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:
>>> And I'm actually inclined to think that if we're choosing what the text should
>>> specify, then red is actually the behaviour that we want to specify: from what
>>> I've considered so far, I think it best if inheritance is based on the true
>>> document tree, and that we make the 5.12.1 text restrict itself to describing
>>> the formatting within the first line box.
>>
>> That doesn't work unless you define inheritance differently for
>> in-flows and out-of-flows or something.... I'm not sure you want to
>> go there.
>
> I was proposing that inheritance is determined by the document tree
> (just as cascade.html currently says) and that there be an additional level of
> "inheritance"-like behaviour for boxes placed in a certain line box, comparable
> to how "The properties of anonymous boxes are inherited from the enclosing
> non-anonymous box" (section 9.2.1.1).

That involves pretty much redefining how first-line works completely,
right?  That might be ok, but I'd need to see a specific proposal to
evaluate it.  It definitely doesn't sound like a smaller implementation
burden than just using the existing inheritance mechnism.

-Boris