Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

On Saturday 2010-08-14 10:56 +1000, Peter Moulder wrote:
> Sorry if I'm speaking too strongly, but trying to implement the current text of
> CSS2.1 is really painful with all its "specification by example" and loosely
> worded text, and I'm amazed that the current text is labelled a "candidate
> recommendation", when so much of this "specification" is not specified and
> relies on implementers guessing as to the intended behaviour.

However, text that's *much* worse is actually labeled a
Recommendation (CSS 2.0).  So I'd rather see 2.1 advance to the
level where it can formally replace 2.0, which is still frequently
normatively referenced by other standards because of requirements on
the maturity level of references.

Otherwise, though, I agree, both in general and on this specific
case, that the spec is too vague.

(It might be clear that a float is "in" a line when the float is
entirely within an inline element that is within that line.  But
it's not at all clear in other, simpler, cases, such as the float
being the only thing within the block.  Making this clear probably
requires formally specifying a concept of float placeholders.)

-David