Re: radial-gradient() proposal

On 06/11/2009, at 9:42 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> also would resist the temptation to change the direction of
>> rotation for angles, just because it seems more familiar to some
>> people. The Web has a standard convention that we should follow.
>
> "The Web"?

Yes, where the X-axis points left and the Y-axis points down, and
positive 90deg being the angle taken from the X-axis to the Y-axis
(ie. clockwise).

This is something SVG had to accept, after years of fighting (I was on
the Y-up side).

> I showed a couple examples on the Web where linear directions were
> specified as angles that were measured by rotating the line
> counterclockwise the number of degrees from zero, which pointed to
> the right. The CSS units module does not specify a default rotation
> direction for angles.

Sorry, I've looked through your emails on this thread and I can't find
the examples on the Web you mention. I see your examples of documents
on the Web, but that's different from deployed Web technologies.

> Is Tranforms the only other module using angles right now?

SVG - http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html

It doesn't use the CSS module, but CSS transforms was designed to be
compatible.

Dean