Re: [CSS2.1-9.5] [CSS2.1-9.4.1] Block formatting context and Floats

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net> wrote:
>> I would prefer the behaviour to be defined, although I am indifferent as to
>> which is chosen, and I confess to not being aware of /any/ examples in the
>> wild where a non-floated BFC sits next to a float(*) and where the author is
>> relying on a particular rendering result, as alluded to by Boris Zbarsky[2],
>> so I can't fully evaluate why a particular one might be preferable.  (Not
>> that I doubt him.)
>>
>> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008May/0226.html
>
> Reading that thread, I see that it was stated that there is no
> implementation consistency on this issue.  At this point, almost a
> year later, it seems that is no longer true.  At the very least, I get
> basically identical renderings of the page I referenced in Firefox
> 3.0.5, IE8b2, Safari 3.1.1, and Opera 9.51.

On closer reading of that entire thread, I see that it concerned both
the margins issue and the "sitting alongside with narrowed width"
behaviour without really separating the two issues, and yet it seems to
me now that these issues are (completely?) unrelated.  Boris's comment
was made with regard to the latter not the former, and hence not
relevant to the current discussion; my apologies.

The latter issue may, as you say, have good cross-browser consensus now.
(I haven't checked).  It is the former issue which I wished to draw
attention to.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net