Re: [CSS21] Concern about anonymous table objects and whitespace

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>>> The examples above actually work fine.
>>
>> Yes, any simple example works fine.  Want me to write you some slightly
>> more complicated ones that don't?  My very first attempt over here with
>> "white-space:pre" wasn't interoperable between Opera, Gecko, and Webkit
>> (Opera did one thing, the others did something else), to say nothing of IE.
>
> Oh, and the very example I cited in my previous mail:

> without any white-space involved is not interoperable in Gecko, Webkit and
> Opera, as I said.  "Interoperability is quite poor" doesn't mean that one
> can't find markup that would be interoperable.  It just means that you have
> to try pretty hard to avoid markup that is not.
>
> Thinking about your use case some more, what if we allowed inference of
> table rows between tables and cells, say, but didn't show any
> non-table-related anything that's a direct child of a table,
> table-row-group, or table-row?  Would that cover enough of the use cases?
>  It would certainly cover both of yours.
>
> As far as that goes, we could also require that any table-row,
> table-row-group, or table-cell needs to have a table somewhere around it.
>  That would still cover your use cases, but be significantly simpler.

FWIW, *I* depend on the example cited by Bert up above working, and
compensate for IE's current bad handling of the table-* display types
by forcing it to use %-width floats instead (still horrible, because
IE doesn't do pretty rounding, so I have to fudge on the % a bit to
keep the <li>s from wrapping).

When I do use the table-* display types, it's pretty much always table
and table-cell.  As long as a solution can handle those two being used
together (without table-row or table-row-group), I'm happy.  Given
that, I would have no problem (and my pages wouldn't suffer) from your
suggested modifications to the rules at the end of the message of
yours I just quoted (suppress anything within a display:table element
unless it's within a display:table-cell element).

I don't really understand how any content *not* within a
display:table-cell element is expected to render, in any case.