Re: [CSS21] Concern about anonymous table objects and whitespace

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>> Interoperability on this section is already quite poor, so making
>>> this change might actually get us to CR faster.
>>
>> The examples above actually work fine.
>
> Yes, any simple example works fine.  Want me to write you some slightly
> more complicated ones that don't?  My very first attempt over here with
> "white-space:pre" wasn't interoperable between Opera, Gecko, and Webkit
> (Opera did one thing, the others did something else), to say nothing of IE.

Oh, and the very example I cited in my previous mail:

without any white-space involved is not interoperable in Gecko, Webkit
and Opera, as I said.  "Interoperability is quite poor" doesn't mean
that one can't find markup that would be interoperable.  It just means
that you have to try pretty hard to avoid markup that is not.

Thinking about your use case some more, what if we allowed inference of
table rows between tables and cells, say, but didn't show any
non-table-related anything that's a direct child of a table,
table-row-group, or table-row?  Would that cover enough of the use
cases?  It would certainly cover both of yours.

As far as that goes, we could also require that any table-row,
table-row-group, or table-cell needs to have a table somewhere around
it.  That would still cover your use cases, but be significantly simpler.

-Boris