Re: [css3-background] does border-radius round the border-image ?

On Jan 12, 2009, at 3:45 PM, Faruk Ateş wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>>> Perhaps an expansion to the spec here would be useful, as I can
>>> see reason for both scenarios to co-exist rather than one being
>>> dropped in favor of the other.
>>
>> Can you give an example of where you would see a reason for the
>> background to continue under the border when background-clip:
>> padding-edge is used?
>

> Any scenario where your background is tailored more directly to the
> (flow of the) text or content within the box, but you explicitly
> have padding on it for legibility purposes or something alike.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how having the background to continue under
the curved part of the border (instead of stopping at he inner edge,
as it does with the rest of the border) will aid in legibility. There
is no more or less padding either way. The only place you would see
something different is through the gaps in the lines (or as color
fringing on the edge of the curve, or when the line is removed via
border-images and there is either the same or more background
showing). Are you saying that those gaps between the dashes, dots, and
double lines are going to add to the legibility near the corners? That
seems like quite a stretch.

> I think the real challenge here is figuring out how to handle the
> new paradigm of having visually rounded corners / edges to a box,
> but still a rectangular "real" box that represents that content.
> Whether one implementation's scenario is more likely or more common
> than the other is less relevant in my opinion, as that issue
> persists in either case. It's just an extension of that problem,
> really.

The implementors and everyone else have limited time. They have
usually no interest in complicating the language and adding to their
implementation burdens to add switches that no one will ever use. And
in this case, the author can already be clear with background-clip:
padding-edge that he wants the background to stop at the inner edge of
the border. Adding a new value, such as "background-clip:inner-border"
could make the intent more clear, I suppose, but is unnecessary since
the author will almost never want the background shape to kind-of-but-
not-quite follow the border shape at the corners, as it does in WebKit.