Re: Styling by attribute-based association?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:44:37 +0200, Daniel Glazman
> David Hyatt wrote:
>>  Another (IMO simpler) idea would be to just have label match the same
>> pseudo-classes that the control does, i.e., if a checkbox is :checked,
>> then the label can match :checked too.  Same for :disabled, :enabled,
>> :indeterminate, and :focus.  I don't see any reason to introduce new
>> selectors to solve this problem.
>
> Let's go back in time for a second since this issue was raised precisely
> 3 years ago : my opinion as both Selectors' editor and CSS WG
> co-chairman is that this issue is outside of the scope of the CSS
> Working Group and it's up to the markup language to state that this or
> that state set on the control is mirrored onto the label having a
> |for| attribute targeting that control. To summarize, it's IMHO an
> HTML5 issue.
> Of course, that's just me but I'll support that idea until my last drop
> of blood ;-)

For all the semantic pseudo classes, :checked, :disabled, etc. it seems
way more appropriate for the markup language to indicate when exactly they
apply as only the markup language knows the specifics. E.g., in <fieldset
disabled><input></fieldset> the input element will need to match the
:disabled pseudo-class.

CSS can say that when an element is in state FOO it will match
pseudo-class BAR. The respective markup language will need to say when the
element is in state FOO.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>