On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Dave Singer wrote:

> > > I think it's that we have to admit that both restricted-use and free
> > > fonts may exist, and those making restricted-use fonts want there to
> > > be some indications and support for the restrictions
> >
> > I agree that this is the case.
> >
> > My question is, why do we care? We should be caring about the needs of
> > the users and Web developers above all else. And it doesn't seem to me
> > that there is a problem faced by these constituencies that is solved
> > by making the technology work less well for those constituencies.
>
> I *think* the argument is that it makes things better for web designers
> and users, because if there is some handling of restricted-use fonts
> with which the font foundries are comfortable, they'll allow web use of
> their commercial fonts by said designers and for said users, which is
> desirable.  I think.

In that case, I propose that instead of the font foundries making the
browser vendors implement a DRM-like scheme, the browser vendors make the
font foundries who are interested in entering the Web market do the same
as stock photo companies, namely, trust their customers to follow the law,
and use the law to defend any violations.

Some font foundries have already shown that they are willing to create
fonts available under free software licenses, let alone restrictive
no-sharing licenses, for the right price. We, the browser vendors and the
standards community, should not have to prop up the font vendors'
businesses just because they are scared of their customers.