At 0:06  +0000 12/11/08, Ian Hickson wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Dave Singer wrote:
>>  > >
>>  > > On the 'serving' side, we are looking for an indication in the font
>>  > > that shows whether it's freely usable or not.
>>  >
>>  > It's unclear that we should be looking for this, unless knowing this
>>  > solves a user or Web developer problem. Does it?
>>
>>  I think it's that we have to admit that both restricted-use and free
>>  fonts may exist, and those making restricted-use fonts want there to be
>>  some indications and support for the restrictions
>
>I agree that this is the case.
>
>My question is, why do we care? We should be caring about the needs of the
>users and Web developers above all else. And it doesn't seem to me that
>there is a problem faced by these constituencies that is solved by making
>the technology work less well for those constituencies.

I *think* the argument is that it makes things better for web
designers and users, because if there is some handling of
restricted-use fonts with which the font foundries are comfortable,
they'll allow web use of their commercial fonts by said designers and
for said users, which is desirable.  I think.
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.