On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Dave Singer wrote:

> > > On the 'serving' side, we are looking for an indication in the font
> > > that shows whether it's freely usable or not.
> >
> > It's unclear that we should be looking for this, unless knowing this
> > solves a user or Web developer problem. Does it?
>
> I think it's that we have to admit that both restricted-use and free
> fonts may exist, and those making restricted-use fonts want there to be
> some indications and support for the restrictions

I agree that this is the case.

My question is, why do we care? We should be caring about the needs of the
users and Web developers above all else. And it doesn't seem to me that
there is a problem faced by these constituencies that is solved by making
the technology work less well for those constituencies.