Re: [css3-mediaqueries] parsing

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 18:50:26 +0200, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>  To match existing implementations better and also to give better
>> forward compatible parsing rules maybe we should do it as follows:
>>  * A violation of the basic syntax will cause the list of media queries
>> to be ignored.
>
> I don't agree with this. I think better forward-compatible parsing rules
> would be to follow the parse-strings-match-brackets rules used in CSS
> declaration blocks and to drop only the affected media query, not the
> whole list.

So I actually did not include any of those in my examples. If you can
suggest how the specification should deal with those that would be
appreciated. I don't think that has been covered in any of the older
specifications.

>> * An unknown media type, media feature, or unknown media feature value
>> will cause the respective media query to be ignored, but not the whole
>> list of media queries.
>
> See David Baron's message and my reply
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0050.html
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0053.html

Yes, this was an attempt to solve the problem. How does it not?

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>