Re: Survival of Styling with Copy and Paste

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> On 21/02/2007 01:07, Ian Hickson wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't scope stylesheets (e.g. using <style scoped> from HTML5 [1])
> > be a better way to do this?
>
> You still have to identify all rules applying to the element. And it'll
> become tricky if some of those rules come themselves from scoped sheets.
> Good luck...

Isn't determining which rules apply to an element a solved problem? (I
mean, it's critical to the way CSS works, no?) I don't understand how this
has more problems than your proposed style="" solution. Could you
elaborate? (I'm especially curious because I'm trying to make sure HTML5
handles your copy-paste use case, but I can't see how the style=""
attribute would handle it in the face of mixed media stylesheets,
whereas it seems that it would be relatively easy to do it in the scoped
for all media, then group them in a group of @media rules. Similarly for
alternate stylesheets, with scoped alternate stylesheets.)