RE: CSS3 Text - Edit suggestions

The rational of moving hypenation from a script-specific context to an open application where it may (or may not apply) is that we do not know all of the places where hyphenation might apply. Rather than having us be experts in all scripts, having generic wording that allows UAs to implement hyphenation and word breaking to the best of their ability (and hopefully improve over time), a generic statement will help the specification be more robust.

I believe that a lot of effort has been put into helping UAX 14 be implementable. I would have a higher level of confidence in making the line breaking dependent on UA implementation than calling out that breaking generally occurs "at" punctuation. I don't know how "at punctuation" should be implemented and therefore see ambiguity introduced. I believe we should avoid introducing this ambiguity and encourage the use of standards whose purpose it is to provide the right kind of data.

> In these systems a line can break anywhere
> <em>except</em> between certain character combinations.
Is the plan to list all of the combinations? Or, is there a normative document that can be referenced?

The issue with Tibetan justification is that groups like FLOSS have read the working draft document are then trying to figure out how to implement it. That is unfortunate because it is not a useful expediture of the volunteer's time. If one considers wood blocks and wants to emulate them then it may be beneficial. However, if you leave the information in the spec there will be many people who think that is the norm. Lets discuss this at the F2F meeting.

I second the idea that we talk about hyphenation at the F2F meeting at end of March.

Regards,

Paul