Re: specificity, user style sheets and SVG

BZ, DW, and CL,

it seems clear to me at least from your responses that specificity is
a clear example where the w3c process has not considered users needs.
many authors wouldn't bother writing web pages if they weren't finite.

from an initial consideration of accessibility, the user being non-
technical needs a simple style sheet that works out of the box across
the web, if it is to be of any use at all.

svg has the potential to use style sheets, but unless we encourage
participation in the w3c process by users it will take at least a
generation longer before users style functionally.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

On 8 Feb 2007, at 22:16, David Woolley wrote:

> Please see <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#cascading-
> order> item 2 and
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#specificity>.  That's
> linked to from
> the section you quote, by the way.

These just confirm the long known problem that a finite length pure user
style sheet cannot override an arbitrary author style sheet.  The
virtual
style sheets generated by a user agent from some non-style sheet
interface,
e.g., if a somewhat poor example, by options on the Accessibility
dialogue
of IE, can do this.