Re: [Media Queries] aspect ratio

On 21.08.2007, at 21:32, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

>>> First, it is argued that the aspect ration of the device isn't that
>>> interesting, one should (instead/also) query the aspect ratio of the
>>> window.
>>
>> So this would mean that when the user resizes the window the UA
>> would need to
>> check rules in these @media to see whether they've now started
>> applying, right?
>
> Your question is also relevant for the "width" and "height" media
> features.
>
> In Opera, which support "width" and "height" you have to reload the
> document for the changes to take effect. It's certainly possible to
> implement it so that users don't have to press reload, but the use
> case seems slim (except for demo purposes) and the spec doesn't
> require it.

> So, the answer is no -- the UA would not *need* to check these rules
> during the resize, but there is nothing prohibiting it from doing so.

To me, this is a very important issue. I was always convinced, that
"device-aspect-ratio" (despite it's name) does actually refer to the
target rendering area. Especially, in an environment, where UA's are
normally implemented in resizable windows. I realized my mistake only
a few days back. Therefor, I very much support the introduction of
"aspect-ratio" as described here:

>   @media screen and (max-aspect-ratio: 1/1) /* portrait or square */
>   @media screen and (min-aspect-ratio: 1/1) /* landscape or square */

But support for this would not be complete, if it does not imply an
immediate switch of stylesheets, when the user resizes the rendering
area. (Whenever a new criteria is fulfilled.) Not mandating this,
would be bad, because this would very often result in amazing
rendering results, when the wrong stylesheet is being applied to the
wrong aspect ratio. I don't think users will realize, that a document
reload, in such a scenario, could actually result in a (much) better
rendering. Also, in the context of stateful web applications, a
reload may be a cumbrous thing to ask for.

Btw, here are two very simple examples, of the kind of thing I would
like to do with "aspect-ratio":

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2007Aug/0033.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2007Aug/0034.html

Timur