Re: Test Suite for Media Queries

On Thursday, September 29, 2005, 7:24:07 PM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:
>>
>> Media Queries W3C Candidate Recommendation 8 July 2002
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/CR-css3-mediaqueries-20020708/
>>
>> Is there a test suite in preparation for this spec? its been in CR for
>> three years. A couple of times this week I heard people refer to it, and
>> without a test suite no-one knows what the level of implementation is.

IH> There is no official test suite yet. The CSSWG's test suite
IH> authoring resources are currently focused on CSS2.1, and were (prior
IH> to 2.1) focused on CSS3 Selectors. The CSS3 Media Queries, CSS3
IH> Color, CSS3 UI, CSS3 Paged Media, CSS Print Profile, CSS TV Profile,
IH> and CSS3 Ruby candidate recommendations will probably not get test
IH> suites until after the CSS 2.1 test suite reaches a mature level
IH> (unless, of course, someone volunteers to step up and write some
IH> tests for us).

Thanks for the update. Is there any rough estimate about when the CSS
2.1 test suite will be mature? (six months, a year, two years?)

IH> To my knowledge there are two implementations of CSS3 Media Queries,
IH> one is in Opera's browser, and the other is in the browser built
IH> into some printers. I am not familiar with the latter
IH> implementation. The former implementation is not dynamic and
IH> supports only a limited number of media features. I have heard
IH> rumours of other vendors considering implementing this draft,
IH> however, so there may be other people interested in creating a test
IH> suite if you are looking for other people to work with.

Thanks, that informal implementation status is helpful also. I will pass
it to the interested parties.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG