Re: Simple template-based editing

Bert Bos wrote:

 > 1) Exactly one element: you can edit an element's content according to
 > the DTD
 >
 > 2) Zero or one: you can edit the content or delete the element.
 >
 > 3) Zero or more: you can delete the element, edit its content and also
 > make copies of the element (and edit their contents).
 >
 > 4) One or more: you can edit the content and make copies but at least
 > one element must remain.
 >
 > (The way NVu currently does this is specific to HTML 4.01 Transitional
 > and the template files themselves aren't valid SGML or XML, so they
 > cannot be used for the online use case I outlined above.)
 >
 > So how about a property in CSS3
 >
 >     Name: editable
 >     Value: auto | one | zero-or-one | zero-or-more | one-or-more
 >     Initial: auto
 >     Inherited: no

Hi,

Should the value just be "yes | no"? You mention in point one (and I
assume the others?) that you can edit according to the DTD (ugghh - why
not RNG or XSD? why go backward?). If the DTD needs to be used (I think
it would), what happens when a CSS rule conflicts with the DTD/Schema.

It seems like when this is fleshed out it would be like RNG's compact
syntax.

Problems will occur when you want to move something. That is a pain in
the butt.

BTW, a couple of editors that do this type of thing now (with the
non-standard contentEditable attribute) are:

Xopus - uses XML Schema and works only in IE
http://xopus.com

Bitflux - uses Relax NG and works in Mozilla based browser
http://bxe.oscom.org/

best,
-Rob