Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

Orion Adrian schreef:
> Or a change in how properties are set. Now one might consider that
> some properties be implicitly tied together so that if I don't
> implement top, don't bother with right. But these are pretty much
> already accounted for.

And if one isn’t implemented properly, harming the usefulness of the
feature, such as width: auto; and height: auto; in IE, it is a bug that
the browser does not know of and thus will faithfully report as
‘supported’. Thus @required is not going to help e.g. the absolute
positioning case at all, which is a major browser feature support issue.
@required doesn’t solve it at all.

I don’t think that there are many cases that this will solve, really. I
predict that this will mainly be used to work around browser bugs (just
like I use ‘* html’ currently), and not to work around cascading
fallback issues. And that web authors will not let @required will not
test for the CSS features that they really need, but instead for a set
of features that will specificly identify a single user agent, in order
to work around its bugs (and not its incapabilities), exactly because
the bugs themselves can’t be detected.

~Grauw

btw, in this particular case, width: auto is not supported in a
position: absolute; context, but it is in a position: static; one. How
is such a required mechanism going to distinguish between those two...