Re: Browsers will never get [block based parsing] right

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 05:36:19PM +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >Because it seems to me that a naïve implementation (or design), i.e.:
> >
> >@required {
> >  color: black;
> >  background: white;
> >}
> >
> >would actually result in none of the rules being applied in today's
> >UA's. Or am I mistaken?
>
> Well, that's easy to work around
>
>   < rules for user agents without @required support >
>   @required { < for for user agents with @required support > }

Sure, but since no user agent currently supports @required, doesn't
that mean that every style sheet would end up with all the rules in the
first section? (i.e., outside of @required).

In the example above, I'd like the UA to apply 'color' and 'background'
only if both are supported, but that doesn't mean that I don't _also_ want
the rules to be applied by UAs that support 'color' and 'background' but
don't support @required at all.

Or would we mandate that implementors add support for @required before
they add any new (CSS4?) properties? At least then we could rely on
@required support for some properties, even if it would be useless for
the majority (those that were implemented in non-@required-supporting UAs).

Regards,
Malcolm