Re: [CSS21] Please endorse xml:id

Laurens Holst wrote:
> Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Norm's request is extremely reasonable, I would say even too much so.
>> The CSS spec already acknowledges the existences of implementations
>> applying it to specific tree technologies (not the christmas tree I'm
>> sorry to notice, but what the heck). All he said was *if* an
>> implementation applies CSS to XML, then it SHOULD (I would very
>> definitely say MUST), use xml:id.
>
> If you changed that to "All he said was *if* an implementation applies
> CSS to XML, *and* it supports xml:id, then it SHOULD (I would very
> definitely say MUST), use xml:id." it would be acceptable, although
> perhaps misplaced :).

That's like saying "if an implementation supports xml:id, then it must
support xml:id". It has limited usefulness.

> However I agree that CSS has no say in whether an
> XML application that supports CSS should also support xml:id or not,
> just like it mustn’t specify that an HTML application must support the
> class attribute.

Well, I guess if that's the thinking we'll have to look elsewhere than
at the W3C for specifications that encourage interoperability instead of
leaving things up to the monkeys that thought <FONT> was a good idea.

*sigh*

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist